Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Candles, Knitting, Cooking, and Bookbinding!

I can't believe it's been almost a week since I last posted on here. I've mostly been keeping myself busy with crafting and going to the gym. 

This week's activites: 
Christmas-themed candles for to be sent to the Boy's family. I wasn't 100% thrilled with the green I used for these but after much trying, I had to give up and just go with what I could get.
 I made a coffee cup/mug warmer for one of the Boy's older sisters. I think I'll make another one in a different color and give those along with a couple of knitted bookmarks as a Christmas present. I made her fingerless gloves back at the end of the summer as a present when we stayed with her in upstate NY for a long weekend. I'm sure she'd love another pair of them, but I'd rather give her something more unique. She's actually going to visit LA in early January for a conference so I can't wait to hang out with her then!
 I had a really strong desire to bake on Sunday and Monday afternoons. I ended up making apple crisp, based off a recipe from the food network, on Sunday...
 ... and I baked "Mommy Bread" on Tuesday night. The Boy's mother is an amazing cook/baker and I heard about this amazing bread she would bake for everyone when they were kids. On one of my last days in NJ, she and I spent all day talking while she painted the kitchen and I wrote down recipes into my book. At the end of the day, she taught me how to make the bread from scratch! I still have two more loaves worth of dough in my fridge, in addition to the 3/4 loaf sitting out on the kitchen counter. I'm not sure when I should make the other loaves since it's just me out here in the apartment. If only the Boy were here so he could help me eat it all...
 Lastly, I took a bookbinding class today at the UCC, which was incredible! I made the book on the right in class, and then stayed afterward and made the book on the left on my own! I am thrilled to have this new skill under my belt and definitely plan to make more books in the future. I'm probably going to go back to the UCC tomorrow morning to make some more book covers. The Boy requested a "Knicks" themed journal and I'd like to make one for his (above mentioned) older sister, too. Plus, the more books I make now while this is all still fresh in my mind, the greater chance I have of solidifying it so I remember how to do this all in the future.
I'm also still going strong on the crocheted blanket. I think it's currently the perfect size for one person to cuddle up underneath it but I'd like to comfortably fit two people. =) Sadly, I have no recent pictures of it and my camera battery is now dead. I'll look for the charger tomorrow morning and possibly post some pictures of it then.

I'm really excited to check out the West Hollywood Stitch & Bitch tomorrow evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment