Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The past few days have been a whirlwind of activity here in Apple Valley.

On Monday, my mother taught me how to make my favorite Iranian dish, Ashe Reshteh. We spent pretty much the entire day in the kitchen making a big pot-full since it takes forever for each ingredient to simmer in the soup before we add the next ingredient. The final result is well worth the time investment!
That afternoon, I baked an apple pie, using Ali's incredible recipe. It was so easy to make and such a big hit with my entire family. I can't wait to make it again and again and again... I'm also really excited to use Ali's recipe to make banana nut muffins for everyone, too!
I miss NJ terribly, but it has been super nice getting to hang out with my brother's family the past couple of days. My niece is incredibly adorable, though still a bit shy. My nephew is finally old enough to joke around with and play a little rough. I'm excited to go watch his Karate class later today.
My mom and I checked out the LYS yesterday morning. Everyone was incredibly welcoming and made me feel quite at home. There was a huge selection of yarns and completed projects on walls and on counters that I lovingly gazed at and touched. Despite being determined not to purchase any yarn, I couldn't stop myself from buying this beautiful Malabringo sock weight yarn. The purples in this yarn are much darker and richer in real life than in the picture to the right. The combination of purples and greens reminds me of something an evil step-mother would wear. I can't wait to knit it up into a nice fall shawlette. I just haven't been able to find the perfect pattern yet.

I've made decent progress on the crocheted blanket I started making in NJ right before I left. I've already run out of the first ball of beige yarn and might have to stop by the store and pick up another one, depending on how far this second ball will get me. I really like the teal blue I added and plan to continue using it on the blanket. I can't wait to finish this and start using it on cool nights while cuddled up on my couch, watching tv and knitting. I really wish I had my cat, Jack, out here with me, too, but I'm trying not to think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment